Planning Permission

Most building work in the UK will require some level of permission before it can go ahead. Depending on the works proposed there are two types of permission applications required; Permitted Development Application and Planning Permission Application.

  • Permitted Development Application – This application seeks to confirm that the proposed development plans fall within the permitted development criteria.
  • Planning Permission Application – This application seeks attain approval for developments and house alterations that fall outside of the permitted planning rights.

Once the application is approved the next stage is:

  • Building Regulations Application – This application will demonstrate to the local authority that the plans comply with the building regulations in term of structure, fire safety, energy efficiency, drainage etc.

Permitted Development

Permitted development applies only to houses and outhouses, it does not include flats or maisonettes. There may also be restrictions if you live in a conservation area or in a listed building, furthermore, if you have had and developments in the past this may also narrow down your permitted developments rights.

If your proposed development falls within the permitted development criteria then it is advisable to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness, the certificate proves to both the local council and future buys that the development was lawful and protects you if the planning policies change.

The application process is like that of a planning application, in that:

  • An application form
  • Evidence to support application
  • Architectural plans and elevations
  • A site location plan
  • A fee

So, what falls under permitted development?

  • If the development its to the side (not facing a highway) or rear of the house.
  • The development must not extend 3m beyond the rear wall of the existing development if an attached house or 4m if detached.
  • The materials used must be similar or match that of the existing property.
  • The development must be less that 50% the size of the land around the house
  • If the development is a side extension, it must be less than 50% the width of the existing house.
  • The development eves and ridge must be no taller than that of the existing house.

For anything outside of these criteria, a planning permission application will need be submitted.

Planning Permission

Planning permission is the process whereby the local authority reviews and, approves or refused your proposed development project. You will need to provide drawings and information regarding you proposed development and the council will base their approval on:

  • The design
  • Your property’s history
  • Planning policy
  • Any local restrictions

Our designers will help you every step of the way to make the whole process as simple as possible.